Monday, March 16, 2015

On Being Absent and Short




My plan for today’s post was to report on my wonderful experiences at Left Coast Crime, a conference I had committed to attending a year ago.  But fate had it that, as I was zipping up my luggage, twenty-five minutes before I was scheduled to leave for the airport, I got a phone call that stopped me in my tracks—a family emergency that meant I had to stay home.

So I missed it.

I did not get to fulfill the role I promised, on a panel that included some of my favorite historical mystery writers.

I did not get to hang out with Lisa Brackmann whose company I so enjoy.

Lisa and Tim


I did not get to cheer on the great MIE blogger emeritus Tim Hallinan who was the Guest of Honor.  I was not there to hoot and holler when he won the Lefty for best humorous mystery of the year.

Guest of Honor Tim at his interview



Lisa, Tim, and his Lefty trophy.


And I was not there to meet Everett Kaser face to face for the first time and to go with him to visit his nominee for the best bookshop in the world—Powell’s.

But EvKa has been kind enough to send me his photos of the event, which I share here with his permission.

One of the marvels of this photo collection for me is to find out how very tall Everett is.   This is not the first time that I have been shocked by such information.  Being 5’2”, I always assume most adults are taller than me,  but the people associated with MIE make me feel like a munchkin.  Here is photo of EvKa and Tim Hallinan, which is a case in point.  I know that I barely come up to Tim’s chin, so Everett would tower over me.



Here are a couple of old pix that will give you an idea of my standing—and regardless how I might look, I am standing in these shots:







I leave you with the following, which I have always taken as ironic rather than contemptuous.




AmA - Monday


14 comments:

  1. 1) Cue Carly Simon's Anticipation. The future awaits us, and that's where we'll finally meet!
    2) You're taller than Sharon, so I'm used to short. :-)

    I really missed you and Jeff. Fortunately, I had Tim and Lisa to blunt the pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And great consolation it would be to spend time with those two!! And thank you again for the pictures.

      Delete
  2. Annamaria,
    Height has nothing to do with stature!
    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am determined that we will all assemble at an LCC, and sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dream of the whole tribe assembling in one place, including our former members. Tim, Yrsa are you listening?

      Delete
  4. To meet any of you in person would be a thrill. I am envious of EvKa and wish to thank him for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God you didn't report on our wonderful experience at dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, THAT'S why I wasn't invited...

      Delete
    2. EvKa, the proceedings in NYC last Friday would have been enhanced by your presence! Jeff will have to fill you in privately on how low the level of discourse sank. I swear to you, it was NOT our fault.

      Delete
    3. Well, I know that YOU are as pure as driven Saharan sand, but I also know the depths to which Jeff is capable of sinking...

      When/where was the picture taken of you, Stan, Michael, Jeff, Caro, and Yrsa?

      Delete
    4. We were at CrimeFest in Bristol, England in May 2013.

      Delete
  6. Well, Jeff, you and Barbara and I behaved ourselves. It was that surprise guest whose speech got, shall we say raunchy, once he drank most of that lovely superTuscan. My lips are as sealed as his were loose.

    ReplyDelete